If you’re looking for someone to partner with you or your organization to achieve excellence, you want to know about that person. How he works. What he values. And how he can help you.
So here are a few comments about how I help my clients plus links to further things if you’re interested in digging deeper into my philosophy and background.
Areas of Expertise
My clients ask me to help them improve their work and acquire brand new skills. Here are the areas I help them.
- Digital Media – Newspaper journalists work with me to acquire digital media skills to create multimedia stories with audio, video and web text. They learn both the editorial and production skills they need to deliver excellent content fast. Learning and communication professionals work with me to acquire and develop content skills to make engaging audio, video and online written content. Learning Executives and Marketing managers work with me to develop content strategies and skills plan for their organizations including workflow analysis and skills audits.
- Communication – Leaders and managers use my workshops to improve communication skills to better inspire and motivate their teams and organizations. We work from a “brain perspective” which is an innovative approach to ensure their messages and behaviors are deliberate and focused on objectives. I also work with change managers, change agents and change leaders who are looking to transform their organizational cultures. Much of my change work has been in the media industry. However, the principles cross over into most sectors and I find myself increasingly helping people in insurance, banking, retail, hospitality, government and pharmaceuticals.
- Learning – Mid-career learning professionals work with me to refresh their skills, rediscover their ‘trainer mojo’ and use their experience to grow their wisdom. My coaching and workshops look a lot at control in the classroom and empowering learners (I know that’s a cliché but I mean empower.) New trainers work with me to get basic platform skills to ensure their content is well-structured and professionally delivered.
Who I Have Worked With
I have worked directly with the following organizations or with their staff who have attended my public workshops.
Verizon, Chevron, Blue Cross Blue Shield, SAP, Bank of America, Association for Talent Development, American Psychological Association, NASBA, WAN-IFRA, Saudi Aramco, Saudi Electric, Daily Telegraph, Financial Times, BBC, Channel Four, ITV, State Department, Department of Defense, US Army, Nuclear Regulatory Authority, Merck, Abbvie, Veterans Administration, Citibank and many more.
How We Work Together
I see my clients as business partners and my job is to help them achieve their success. I don’t deliver workshops because I like standing in front of a group of people. Actually, it’s quite tiring. And I don’t do coaching because it’s work I can do from home over the phone in my pajamas. I use these tools because I have seen them help people grow new or existing skills or change the way they think and transform teams and organizations. So here’s how I work with people:
- Workshops – I help clients with workshops that are designed to give skills. I tend not to spend much time talking about “What I cover,” in a workshop. Novice trainers like to do this because they favor the information dumpy. I focus on what participants will be able to do at the end of the workshop because that’s why I’m being hired. All my workshops incorporate professional learning techniques based on the latest research into cognitive neuroscience. They are highly practical but grounded in careful thinking.
- Coaching – I help people embed their learning into practice with coaching. Most of the time it is before or after one of the workshops to make the learning investment pay off bigger. Sometimes it is standalone and focused on a specific workplace need. I work with executives on their communication and people skills. I work with media content creators giving feedback on content products, reviewing their workflows and auditing their skills.
- Consulting – I help leaders develop strategies to implement change, develop new work processes and transform organizational culture. For example, helping learning executives re-skill their teams to be media content producers, helping editors change the workflow of producing news stories. I tend to focus on consulting related to learning, communication and media because these are the spaces I occupied for 25 years. Although I have worked in other areas when I have felt I have something to offer.
If you’d like to learn more about me or my philosophy, here are some extra links.
- T&D Magazine: The Long View. I was interviewed for this monthly feature that has featured thought leaders including Ken Blanchard, Marcus Buckingham, Elliott Masie and others. CLICK HERE for the article
- Here’s an article I wrote about how I help my clients. It goes into more depth about my values and philosophy. CLICK HERE to read.
- Here’s my standard biography. CLICK HERE to read.